Monday, December 14, 2009

Trekkie

So, now everyone knows that I am a star trek fan. And I'm darn proud of it! The gender translation project was the best assignment I've ever done. Though I have to admit that I am so sick of hearing John F. Kennedy but I do love the ending! I tried really hard to make the video less than 8 minutes but to me all those pictures were important and I just LOVED having that song at the end. There were more things i wanted to say so I hope ya'll don't mind if I tell you more about what I was hoping to accomplish in my video. Besides, Ipersonally believe that I type better than when i speak. So hopefully this might clear up a few questions.

I have always been a space geek and I have always wanted to find out why on Earth people didn't' believe we went to the moon. So I did that paper and thought for awhile what I was going to do for th gender translation. Then I had it; the video! Combining two things that I love; space and drums.

My drum teacher, Mitch Lee, did the recording of the drums. I did what I think is called abstract drumming, or is it interpretive drumming? Each section representated something during a space mission. Preparing, countdown, launch and sailing through space. The cymbals and drum rumbles were thesailing through space and the control bursts for corrections and Lunar insertions and so forth. That was alot of fun. the funny thing was when the recording came up in itunes; it was mistaken for a hard rock band called pentera or something like that. And the album was Vulgar display of power O_O Why does that sound dirty or ugly?

The project was alot of hard work though. I used my friend's imac and we wre both very unfamil;ier with imovies. For instance, I collected all these pictures but we had to find mostly new ones because apperently the large pictures were the best. I had no idea I could even select what kind of pictures i wanted or that it mattered!

Then this weekend was a bear; tidying things up. Of course, as always several things went wrong. We finally got the movie unto the DVD only to find that my name was mispelled. It's a good lesson, don't work at midnight cause then you're loopy and bound to make more mistakes. So, I put it on a CD-RW because i wantd a copy to take home in a few days. Well....it looked great yesterday and I was prepared to give that one to Daniel this morning.

Of course I found two things. I should've said Daniel instead of Dr. For some reason, I forgot that he rather be called Daniel Westover. But that's not the big one. The really biggie was that I wanted to have some credits to show where I got John F. Kennedy's speech, Queens and sof orth. it did not show up on that CD! Can you belive that? I have no idea how that happened. Especially since the DVD was done first so it should've been on the cd but i think when we fixed my name; it somehow fell off. Oh well, that one is for my family and on youtube. I hope you like the cool DVD. I had to laugh when I saw one person used a simaler DVD menu and the same drumbeat. So cool!

I hope that the movie presented the pathos, ethos, and logos that I wanted. I wanted to show a sense of unity and pride through the pictures and the drumming. I wanted to give a sense of, "We did it! We went to the moon! We all did it!" I shared in my paper that Michael Collins, Command Module Pilot for Apollo11, had visited mor than 20 forgien counteries. And the response h usually gts is not, "Oh, you Americans went to the moon." It was more, "We did it! We went!"

The NASA 2009, was to show that is what we're doing right now. That is what NASA is doing for our country now. Returning to the moon and how knows how much cool technology we're get from the Constellation program. After all, much of the technology, we have today is from the space program. You can check out NASA spinoff database for all that stuff.

((Frakes is so dang hot!))

Anyway, I used the two star trek clips because as I've said in class, i wanted to show how the future could be. And I really liked that saturn shot was so cool. ANd which that Space, final frontier speech, I thought was perfect. Like I said, there is still so much to explore. Nto just outer space, but our world and our lives.. Every day, every decision is in an essense, going boldly where no one has gone before. Sure,others have gone there maybe but....you haven't. Right?

Originally I was going to play the drums on the credits but then yesterday morning I got this beat in my head. And i thought, "Wouldn't it be funny if I put in "We will rock you" by the Queens at the end? As soon as Spocks said before, the beat starts. I thought it was the coolest thing. How I felt, and i hope you all felt, was excitement for the future. Going out and conquering the world in whatever we do in life. Or maybe one i'm' just one of those people that look deeper into things then i should. But that's what I see and think of with the things presented in my video.

Okay, i'll shut up now. :) Though, i think i'll add another post. I have no idea how many I've made.

No comments:

Post a Comment