Sunday, September 20, 2009

Animal Pak

I went to animalpak.com. The first thing I notice is an extremely muscular man right in the middle of the page. The guy is lifting weights in a gym. This immediately tells me this is a website for bodybuilders. By having a bodybuilder right in the middle of the main page they are using the rhetorical strategies pathos and ethos. Pathos, because it makes you have an emotional response like “oh my god that guy is huge”. Ethos, because the guy’s giant size gives credibility to the website it shows you that the advice, product, or service they are providing or selling might possibly work.

The page is entirely in black and white. It’s very simple, no pretty colors. This tells me that the people who run this website are serious about bodybuilding. They don’t want any distractions; just black and white right to the point. I notice on the top left corner there is the letter A in a circle very similar to the anarchy symbol. It makes me think that maybe that’s the sort of mentality they want you to be in when lifting to get that huge. A sort of crazy intensity where nothing else matters and you’re focused on attaining a certain goal; which in this case is getting huge.

As I read some of the text I notice some swear words. This tells me people who come to this website might have similar interest and attitudes so the owners of the website feel comfortable saying whatever they want without fear of insulting anybody. As I click the link “what is animal” it takes me to a page where they have a product. It’s some sort of supplement. In this page we finally get some color. The page and text are still black and white but the product is shown in color. This tells me they want me to notice the product, so I assume this is what they’re selling.

When I read some of the text I notice they begin to use the rhetorical strategy logos. I come across links for charts that show the benefits of the different Animal products. There is also a link to feedback from users of the product which is using the rhetorical strategy ethos. They are relying on the character and experience of their customers to try and sell the product.
Overall I think they do a good job selling their product. I think if you were into bodybuilding this might be something you would want to look into.

No comments:

Post a Comment